This report comes courtesy of Gina Halliburton, FRID's representative on the Florida Coordinated Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (FCCDHH). The Council held its most recent meeting May 11-12, 2017 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Below is a summary of Gina's report to the FRID to the Board of Directors. The next FCCDHH meeting will be held in August 10-11, 2017 in Safety Harbor, Florida. See the FCCDHH website for more information. Many thanks to Gina for her time and effort in keeping the members updated about the Council's activities.
"May Meeting Summary:
- A presentation by the Director of Deaf Services at Goodwill Gulfstream provided timely and candid information regarding the victories and challenges of Deaf Services. Victories - being able to provide the following services to the Deaf Community, despite the challenges of financial shortfalls and lack of space:
- Audiology & Interpreting Services
- Crisis Intervention
- Assistance in applying for social services
- Full inclusion, including job placement & Training
- ASL classes
- ADA Compliance
- Workshops, outreach events and community education
- A presentation by Peggy Brown, Regional Executive Director of the Center for Hearing and Communication Programs. Information was provided regarding the Senior/Adult/Children's Programs. Flyer summarizing information attached for your convenience.
- The DOH distributed training DVD's "Legal System Access - For Persons With Hearing Loss". Several were given to you (Rachel) for FRID.
- DeafBlind Awareness Presentation & Activity. A presentation by Anindya "Bapin" Bhattacharyya, Helen Keller National Center Coordinator of National Outreach Adaptive Technology Training Program. He provide information and demonstrated the latest communication assistance technology and Darlene Laibi-Crowe engaged the Council in simulated experience of being blind in a sighted world.
- Debbe Hagner was appointed the open seat for the Public Service Committee.
- I was appointed the open seat for Chair of the Education & Medical Outreach Committee. One of the additional responsibilities I have been assigned is to prepare a summary and letter to responsible person based on issues presented by the Deaf consumers during Public Comments. My first order of business is to select committee members, develop a contact database and write the first communication piece for the State to review.
- There were several comments made by Deaf consumers, highlighting the continued stress and challenges of obtaining adequate medical services, education and life skills training."
Below, Gina has attached several documents providing information on a variety of events and subjects.
FCCDHH May Mtg Handout-CHCP.pdf
2017 DB Transition Flyer.docx
FAVI Transition Flyer.docx
Appointments and Seats_032717.docx
Nomination packet 2017.docx
YES FAIR 10 Anniversary.jpg
yes senior 2017.pdf